From pre-tragic-sacrifice one-liners to philosophical and emotional revelations, it often takes only a single line of dialogue to get the tears a'flowin' in theaters. So there were thousands of excellent (read: heartbreaking) submissions when redditor u/Andrewreddy asked the movie buffs of r/movies, "In your opinion, what is the saddest line in a movie?" Here are 17 of their suggestions.
And here's an obligatory spoiler warning!
1. In Her, when Theodore confides in his virtual assistant, Samantha.
2. When Joe confessed his existential fears about his life to his mother in Soul.
3. When Lee admitted to Patrick that he couldn't overcome his traumatic past in Manchester by the Sea.
4. When Mr. Anderson gave Charlie this all-time classic piece of young adult fiction advice in The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
5. In Boyhood, when Olivia told her son that sending him to college made her afraid that her life was practically over.
6. When Randall says this to his friends and family while they wait for the apocalypse in Don't Look Up.
7. When Killmonger had only this to say upon his defeat in Black Panther.
8. When Gordie doesn't speak, but writes, the final heartbreaking lines of Stand By Me.
9. When Waymond wistfully said this to Evelyn in Everything Everywhere All at Once.
10. When Boromir said this as he was dying in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
11. When Del made an emotional confession to Neal in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
12. When the Iron Giant sacrificed himself in The Iron Giant.
13. When Setsuko, on the verge of death, offers her beloved brother, Seita, "rice balls" in Grave of the Fireflies.
14. When Jack and Ennis fought in Brokeback Mountain.
15. In The Princess Bride, when Inigo Montoya summed up his life's mission in four words: "I love my father."
16. When Lady Bird found her friend Julie crying and Julie explained it by saying this in Lady Bird.
17. And finally: When Stoick reunited with his long-lost wife, Valka, in How to Train Your Dragon 2.
When you read the phrase "emotionally devastating," which lines from television or film come to mind? Tell us about them in the comments!
TV and Movies
Get all the best moments in pop culture & entertainment delivered to your inbox.